EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES 2018:
- Customized, hands-on learning experiences in organic farming activities for farmers, the general public, individuals with disabilities, and public or private schools, at our family farm or in your classroom.
- Come see what’s blooming, in the context of the season and the Whole Farm and visit our micro-dairy.
- Biennial Seed Planting weekend for gardeners and farmers April 7 and 8 (carrot, cabbage, onions and other vegetables that take two years to produce seed)
- Signs of Summer: Month long organic farm internship for young people who are deaf, July 1-July 31.
- Seed Growing Technique Overview July 8.
- Hands on seed growing, harvesting and cleaning classes Saturday September 1, followed by the Sixth Annual LABOR DAY Seed Festival for everyone including horticultural professionals and families Sunday and Monday September 2 and 3.
Contact us for an updated schedule since we are always adding classes!
(The Biennial Seed Planting weekend and Seed Festival are supported through a Specialty Crop Block Grant from the Nebraska Department of Agriculture.)
- Various types of on-farm internships available, including learning year-round seed production.
- “Advancing with Accompaniment” for individuals with different abilities. Contact us for more information about this project.
FARM TOURS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES:
- We work with teachers or home-school leaders to incorporate what is being learned in the classroom!
- Tours of the seed gardens throughout the spring, summer and fall.
- In the spring, tours can include activities like visiting the greenhouses and baby animals.
- In the fall, tours can include activities harvesting vegetables and visiting the animals.
Visit more than once, to experience the plants, animals, and farm throughout the seasons.
- Call to schedule a day to volunteer! It is especially fun to help harvest for the CSA on Thursdays.
- Come for a walk on LEF’s Richard Everett Nature Preserve! Nathan is a trained naturalist who has observed nature’s cycles for over forty years, and he enjoys sharing his love of nature with adults and/or children.
- Festive celebrations and cultural events are offered throughout the year.